We can slow down the Alzheimer’s process and even delay the start of the disease with these simple tasks:
- Try to eat healthy. Regularly eating different types of nuts, a lot of vegetables and fruits, fish at least once a week, and olive oil is a great help for our brain.
- Exercise regularly. Such an exercise does not need to be strenuous. It is better to exercise calmly and enjoy the ride. Walking is one great way!
- Exercise your brain. This can be done in many ways like learning a new language, learning to sing or play a song, playing Sudoku or chess, or memorizing a poem. These are just examples and there are many more things you can do to improve your mental abilities. It is especially beneficial if the exercise creates joy (stress is counterproductive).
- Find time to relax and de-stress yourself.
- Socialize. Socializing is a great way to exercise the brain and at the same time, to create positive experiences, helping to be happy. Anything that helps to reduce depression is a positive for our brain.
- Avoid injuries to the brain.
It is never too late to start practicing a healthy lifestyle, so why not being today!
Mikosch Baumann, Manager at Helping Hands In-Home Care
- “How to Slow Down Alzheimer’s”. com. N.p., n.d. Web. 19 Apr. 2015.
- Wilson, Anthony. “Seven Ways To Slow Or Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease.” Alzheimer’s Disease. Alzheimer’s Disease News, Articles & Information-Health Hubs, 26 Jan. 2008. Web. 19 Apr 2015.
- “Preventing and Slowing Dementia.” Dementia Care Central. American Elder Care Research Organization, n.d. Web. 19 Apr. 2015.